Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Alaska: Truly a Once in a Lifetime Experience

Back in 2011, I had the wonderful experience of celebrating the summer solstice and experiencing the midnight sun in Alaska. We visited Glacier Bay National Park, Seward, Kenai Fjords National Park,  Anchorage, Fairbanks, Barrow and Denali National Park. To maximize our trip to Alaska, we decided to get a rental car in Anchorage and experience driving in the last wilderness.

It was the first time for me to experience the midnight sun. So on our first night in Glacier Bay National Park, I decided to wait until the sun would set - I was earlier told that the sun will set in the area around past midnight. So I sort of not slept in order to see the sky change its colors. I practically did not sleep on our first nights at every city/town we visited in Alaska, just so I can compare and contrast "midnight sun".

We timed our trip to make sure that we will be in Barrow, Alaska, the northern most city of the United States during the summer solstice. Our adventure in Barrow was very nice. We got to see the most expensive sewage system in the world. Dipped our feet and hands in the icy cold waters of the Beaufort Sea/Artic Sea (Note: we chickened out to do the polar bear plunge!). We got to taste whale meat and had Chinese and Mexican food at the top of the world. We got to interact with the locals and learned a little about their culture. Although I was freezing, I was so amazed to see kids walking around and playing in shorts and short sleeved shirts.

My excitement about Barrow intensified when Drew Barrymore's movie which was filmed in Barrow came out and I recognized almost every area in Barrow.

I was so amazed at the flora and fauna I had the pleasure of seeing and experiencing. I felt that all the books I have read on environmental science and all the photos of endangered animals came to life and I was seeing all of them. I wish we could have stayed longer and watch the endless animals come to life.

No words will ever be enough to capture my once in a lifetime experience in Alaska. I would love to visit the State once more, may be this time experience winter solstice!
Gustavus, Alaska: A seal welcoming guests

Frozen me at Glacier Bay National Park while waiting for the glacier to cave

Glacier Bay National Park

Kenai Fjords



Kenai Fjords

Enjoying the Festivities to celebrate summer solstice

Fairbanks, Alaska


Reindeers - a.k.a. Domesticated Caribou at Fairbanks, Alaska

Barrow, Alaska

Icy Strait near the mouth of Glacier Bay. So many eagles!



Gustavus, Alaska: what a unique sea creature - star fish climbing a post




No comments:

Post a Comment